Monday, August 18, 2014

Oyster Bay (My Hometown) by Stretch

My human sidekick is busy with some project or other this morning, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to sneak in here and write a blog post for her. I know my fans are always anxious to hear more about my background, so I’m going to share some pictures of my hometown.

I chose to live in the best place suited for a teddy bear—Theodore Roosevelt’s hometown of Oyster Bay.  What could be more perfect than to reside in a place associated with the man who helped make us teddy bears the well-loved creatures we’ve become (especially me).

Our whole town is filled with history related to our 26th President, so it’s hard to focus on just a few things but I thought I’d pick out some of my favorites. To begin with, you’ve read in this blog about my human sidekick’s mania for “henge” places (Stonehenge, Foamhenge, Carhenge, Woodhenge). Well, here in Oyster Bay we have our very own henge—Teddyhenge, as I like to call it.

Down by the waters of Oyster Bay they’ve dedicated a park to T.R.; in this park you’ll find a grouping of stones set in stones, along with some larger boulders. Each stone represents some milestone in T.R.’s life and they come from all over the country and the world.

My favorites are the ones I can climb on like the boulders from T.R.’s ranch in the Badlands of North Dakota, one from San Juan Hill, and another from the Panama Canal zone.
From San Juan Hill
From Elkhorn Ranch, ND
From the Panana Canal area
After playing on the rocks, I sometimes pop into Teddy’s estate, Sagamore Hill. 
The house is closed for some needed restoration work right now, but you can still stroll the grounds and often find a regiment of T.R.’s Rough Riders parading around and practicing their military skills.
When the house reopens next year, I look forward to again hanging with the President himself and listening to more of his rousing speeches delivered straight from his porch.
Fourth of July several years ago

No visit to Sagamore is complete without stopping to chat with my good friend and neighbor who is a Ranger there. As you can see from this picture, he has designated me to be an honorary Ranger. When the house opens, he’s going to finally let me sit in one of T.R.’s chairs for a photo op.

Just joking Howie, I know I’m not allowed on the furniture. And you’ll be glad to know that your friend, my human sidekick, also prevented me from following in the footsteps of T.R.’s sons and climbing the windmill.


All that fun sure does work up an appetite. And I know just the restaurant to go to for a great meal—it’s called “Wild Honey” and it just happens to be located in the building that was T.R.’s Summer White House.  
Hmm, come to think of it, writing a blog post works up a good appetite, too. I’m off to lunch. And oh, if you see my human sidekick you didn’t read any new post in the blog this morning and you don’t know where I went with her charge card. . . 

2 comments:

Roy J. Juers II said...

The Moore Building, Teddy Roosevelt's summer house you have pictured here, was also my dad Ken Juers' family's home for many years. My grandmother Helen, lived on the 2nd floor above (what's now) Wild Honey, from the late 40's until the late 70's/early 80's.
Helen Juers, & her sons Harry, Don, Ken, Gerry, Roy & Bobby... all crammed into that 2nd floor apartment. Have great memories of that place from when I was boy... thanks Cathy, for showcasing it in your blog... cheers!

Roy Juers II
Apopka, FL

Unknown said...

Wow, that is so interesting, thanks so much for sharing your story! And as a history buff and a big fan of Teddy Roosevelt I have to admit I'm just "a bit" jealous that your family history includes the building where T.R. had his offices. Imagine--you literally walked in T.R.'s footsteps when you had family gatherings!