Monday, April 28, 2014

Chemobearapy 2: The Poetic Treatment

Well, I think I discovered why Stretch has been acting like such a romantic flirt lately. April is National Poetry Month. That explains why he seems to have morphed into a little lothario around the ladies lately; he’s just simply celebrating this event.

Actually, a bit of celebration is definitely in order here since I got great news on Friday. My latest scan shows the cancer is stable or receding and the bloodwork came back perfect. Of course, I would love to hear the words “cancer free” but with metastatic breast cancer this is still phenomenal news. At the very least, it means I can take some deep breaths, relax and enjoy the rest of the spring now.

While I was taking care of the business of continuing to stomp the cancer with treatment on Friday afternoon, Stretch took care of continuing the National Poetry Month celebration by practicing his art on our nurse in attendance, Iris.

“Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate.” (Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18)

Then he told me that he was going off to get some cookies from the refreshment stand they have for patients. I noticed he was carrying a small package when he left.





“My love is like a red, red rose that’s newly sprung in June. My love is like the melody that’s sweetly played in tune. As fair art thou, my bonnie lass Jane, so deep in love am I.” (Robert Burns)






A little while later another nurse, Tatyana, appeared in the doorway to our cubicle:

“Does this bear belong to you? He’s creating mayhem reciting poetry to nurses and I think he just proposed to Jane.”

Fortunately, my treatment only takes 30 minutes so I was able to slink out of there with the little Romeo before he caused any scandals. And I promised them I would get this under control before my next visit.



“How far that little candle throws his beams.” (Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice)

2 comments:

#1Nana said...

Congratulations on the good news! How long do you have to continue chemo?

Unknown said...

Thank you Nana! With metastatic breast cancer there's no definite end to treatment. Most people stay on one drug or another for the rest of their lives, but you may get a break from time to time if this goes in remission, which I'm working on! :-)